Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Upon further review...

Besides the US being ousted, the biggest story from the World Cup's round of 16 had to be the referees, unfortunately. Crusty old FIFA has refused to enter the 21st century and implement video replay, and it cost the English a goal. It would've taken 10 seconds for a video goal judge to look at the replay and signal down to the field. Instead, millions of people could see what the referees could not -- that the ball went in. This incident will break even FIFA's mind-boggling level of stubbornness. We'll have video replay for goals at the next World Cup.


Not that England would've won the game. English fans can latch onto the missing goal all they want, but if they played that game 100 times, Germany would win every one of them against that lethargic English effort. The best team advanced. A bad call cost Mexico as well, but at no time did the Mexicans look like they were beating Argentina either.

Brazil is in top form, even by Brazilian standards. I find it hard to see how they won't be in the final game.

As for my picks, I got 6 out of the 8 quarterfinalists. The US and Japan dented my record -- the US losing that heartbreaker in extra time, the Japanese getting knocked out on penalty kicks.

Here's the way I see the quarterfinal matchups:

Uruguay vs Ghana: It could be pretty painful to watch this game, thinking about what might've been for the US. Ghana is carrying the African banner, but Uruguay has looked a tad more stout. Uruguay 2-1.

Germany vs Argentina: This could easily have been the matchup for the final game of this World Cup, but as it is, someone's going home early. Both teams play with passion and have the talent to go all the way. I'll stick with my original prediction of Germany hoisting the Cup this year. Germany 3-2.

Brazil vs Netherlands: My heart wants to pick Holland, a team with flair that has been oh-so-close in the past but has never won the trophy. But whatever flair Holland possesses, Brazil has more of it. The Dutch gave Slovakia some golden chances to score in their last game, but Slovakia could not convert. Brazil will. Yellow beats Orange 3-2 in a thriller.

Spain vs Paraguay: Spanish striker David Villa is on fire. The Paraguayans are not going to put him out. Spain 2-0.

Only a week and a half left. Enjoy it while you can!

3 comments:

  1. All right... I am beginning to get optimistic about my Spain. I think my wearing the jersey on game days is giving them luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miguel, maybe I have a fuzzy memory, but I would swear there was someone who called themselves BAD luck for wearing a Brett Favre jersey during Jets games. Hmmm....

    Seriously, Spain should reach the semis at least. Then, they have to face either Germany or Argentina. Awesome game either way. So far, David Villa is acting like the player of the tournament. ANOTHER goal against Portugal. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know... The Farve thing did't work but the Spain jersey is doing it . We'll see tomorrow. I am missing the game. I'll be traveling and not wearing it. Or maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete