Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Revenge, revenge, revenge

The World Cup round of 16 is shaping up to be a real ripper. Of the matches that are set, three of them are as juicy as they get.

The US plays Ghana Saturday. I was at the last World Cup game between these two teams in 2006. Ghana knocked us out of the tournament on a questionable penalty. It's time for revenge! Yes, I enjoyed the friendly Ghanians who let me play their drums before the game, but this time, I'm all business.

Ghana is a good side, and they will have the entire continent of Africa behind them, since they are Africa's last hope at this World Cup. But Ghana's defense is suspect, and the US should be able to capitalize. The same could be said for the US defense at times. This could be a high-scoring affair (well, for a soccer game). This US team is better than the 2006 version. I like our chances, but the US players might want to wear ear plugs. The vuvuzelas will be deafening.

The next day, Germany plays England. Oh my word. These two teams hate each other. They have a long history, in which Germany usually has the final say. We'll see if England can turn the tables and get their own revenge. Neither team has looked up to their own standards so far, but they both took care of business at crunch time and got through. They've been here many times before, so I expect both to play at their highest level. I predict a 2-1 German win.

Another must-see round of 16 game is Argentina vs Mexico. Argentina eliminated Mexico in the last World Cup deeeeep into overtime. It was a thrilling, exhausting game, and I expect the same thing this time around. Mexico has revenge in its corner, but I have a feeling Argentina will get the best of the Mexicans again.

Boy, these final group matches have been exciting. Besides the ultra-dramatic US game, the final minutes of the Group D games were crazy. Australia had a 2-0 lead on Serbia and with two more goals could've advanced over Ghana. Then, Serbia scored and they were suddenly in position to advance with one more goal. They got it, but the ref called a very close offside call on the Serbians. Tough way to go.

Tomorrow it's Italy's turn to prove their mettle. I hope they lose 10-0 :), but I'm sure they will find a way to make it through. I'm all about the Kiwis! If New Zealand can pull off one more upset and beat Paraguay, the Kiwis would advance for the first time in their history. Hell, before this Cup, NZ had never even tied a WC game. They have nothing to lose and should play that way.

If you have any thoughts to add, feel free to share them. I can't get enough World Cup!

2 comments:

  1. I was in a bar to watch the USA (Amherst Ale House) and the place went batsh#t when we scored. Great times. I like our draw and not to get ahead of ourselves but Uruguay-SKorea looks winnable if we can get past Ghana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the Amherst Ale House. Sweet!! I agree, winning the group was HUGE -- not having to face Germany so early. Honestly, if the US is to push its program forward, it really needs a semifinal appearance at a World Cup. We made the quarters in 2002.

    If we can get past Ghana - no easy task - I expect Uruguay would be our next opponent. Their defense is top-notch. No goals allowed so far. But I do believe we would have a puncher's chance. Continue to believe!

    ReplyDelete