Thursday, June 10, 2010

Got Mutt?

A few weeks ago, my wife and I went to the shelter to browse for dogs. She's wanted one ever since we met, and finally, it seemed like the right time. We "test-walked" a few pups. One was insanely out of control. Another seemed like a yapper; still another tried to bite my face off. But I kept going back to this one quiet dog who would slowly come to greet me every time I walked by.

I had a feeling about her.

Truthfully, she looked like a lemon. She was missing quite a bit of hair, and her skin was pretty disgusting. Megan and I went to lunch and talked it over. The dog's appearance aside, she was as gentle as could be and didn't bark once, even as the entire pound was screaming at her.

We decided to go for it and take the chance that her skin problem was the result of neglect by the previous owner. It turned out to be a great decision. Stella is smart and obedient, friendly and loving like a perfect dog should be. Her skin has cleared up, and her hair is growing back. I'm so glad we didn't overlook her because of a little cosmetic issue. She's a beauty!

We're certain she has significant Akita in her breeding. She has the curly tail like most Akitas, and she rarely barks -- another trait. We aren't sure what else is in her mix, but we're about to find out! We got a DNA test from HappyDogDNA and should be getting the results any day now. Wanna take a guess at what else is in her mix?

By the way, despite the common assumption, Stella's last name isn't Artois. It's Bo-Bella.





4 comments:

  1. Good one! If that's what the DNA test says, I don't know what I'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Bo-Bella! She IS a beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like there might be a little lab in there too...from looking at the snout and eyes. Nice color!!!

    ReplyDelete