Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I may have to go Dutch


In all my years of watching the World Cup (since 1982!), I've pulled for only 3 teams. One is the United States of course.  The other two are the Netherlands and Germany, simply because it's in my blood.  Both my grandfathers were German.  One of my grandmothers was Dutch.

So, I could have one helluva conundrum come Sunday.  If Germany beats Spain (as I predict), it'll be Germany vs Holland in the final game.  What a final that would be.  But who do I pull for?

The Dutch have never won the World Cup, so that's a point in their favor.  It's always nice to see a country win its first Cup.  But I picked Germany to win the World Cup before it started, and it's always nice to be right.  So that's a point in Germany's favor.

In 1994, I partied with Dutch World Cup fans in Orlando.  In 2006, I partied with German World Cup fans in Germany.  I own a jersey from former Dutch player Rudy De Boer, but I also own a German national jersey.  My great grandmother's name was Von Hennihem.  There's a street in Berlin called Jagow Strasse.

Man, this is hard.  In horse racing, if you bet two different horses to win the same race, it's called "Dutching."  How appropriate.  

Spain could spoil the whole thing and beat Germany.  That would make it easy on me. With apologies to my Spanish friend Miguel, I'd have to be Dutching it all the way.


1 comment:

  1. Oh come on! Spain's food is better. And... well, not the beer, no.

    ReplyDelete